The U6 Girls League is for girls 5-6 years old that teaches the fundamentals of soccer. The league's primary objectives for players in this age group is maximum activity, maximum touches on the ball, an absence of focus on winning, and a focus on individual learning, fun and success. The younger U5 and U4 leagues are coed, so this is the first time girls who have played with BRYC will have the chance to play with just girls on their team.
Each team will have about 10 players on them. There will be a head coach and they need at least one assistant coach to help run the team. BRYC is a volunteer league, and it relies on parents especially at the younger levels.
For more information on when the season starts and ends please look at the schedule.
U6 game and practice parameters:
- Soccer is played unless fields are closed or there is thunder/lightning. Your coach will notify you of changes to your practice or game schedule.
- Size 3 soccer ball.
- Shin guards are mandatory and must be covered by a sock. A player is not allowed to play in a game or practice without them.
- No jewelry of any kind is allowed. Earrings cannot be taped over and must be removed before the child can play.
- Allowed 45 minutes to 1 hour practice time per week. Games are alloted one hour.
- Parents and coaches are responsible for set up and tear down of fields when they are the first or last game.
- Games and practices must stick to scheduled times.
- Games are played 3v3 without goalies.
- Teams share players to meet number in case of absenses.
- Two small-sided games will be played at the same time with half the players participating in 1 game and the remaining players in the second game. The coach should be on one field and the assistant coach should be on the other field.
- There will be 4 quarters each lasting 6-8 minutes. There will be a 2 minute break between quarters and a 5 minute break at halftime. Time played is reduced if conditions warrant. ie: hot and humid, children appear fatigued, etc.
- Player substitution can be done at any time during the game.
- The coaches are responsible for refereeing the games and keeping track of the game time. There are no formal referees at this age level. There are no "official" scores kept for recreation soccer at any age group.
- A kick-off will be done at the beginning of each quarter.
- Any ball that goes out of bounds or in the goal will be put back into play by either coach rolling the ball onto the field. The coach should yell “new ball” and then roll the ball to a player that hasn’t been involved in the play. By doing this all players get a chance to touch the ball several times during each game.
- There are no kick-ins or throw-ins at this age level.
- Do not teach or encourage heading the ball.
- Medical and liability forms must be carried by the coach (or responsible adult if coach is absent) to all team activities.
- Practices vary depending on the team but at this age level are for one hour in the evening between 5 and 7 PM.
- Please bring a water bottle with your daughter's name on it for each practice and game.
- Uniforms are required and are availble to order at registration and available at Uniform Night. If you ordered a shirt when you registered please
- try it on before uniform night to make sure it is the right size. To find the date for Uniform Night, please refer to the Season Schedule (find the radio button to the left on the Home page).
- Weather Line: 703.354.7101