Hello Parents, as we head into another weekend, the BRYC Executive Committee wanted to send a reminder about Field Protocols:
- NO CHAIRS OR TENTS ON OUR TURF FIELDS. We pay a lot of money for our turf fields. If your child is playing on a turf field, we do not allow chairs or tents to be on the turf. Please put them in the grass, on a path, in the dirt… just not on the turf.
- NO PETS, SMOKING OR ALCOHOL at the fields. These are a Fairfax County Laws and school rules. Please do not bring any of these to BRYC activities. It’s a safety precaution, and it’s the law.
- Everyone has their role…
- Players – play
- Coaches – coach
- Referees – call the game
- Parents – CHEER & ENCOURAGE
- Parents… This is not the World Cup. Nothing bad will happen if a wrong call is made… but you could make a young ref decide not to ref again if you yell at them. You could make a parent who volunteered to coach decide never to do that again. Was your child smiling when they went on the field and when they came off? Then no matter what the score was… they WON!
- Keep siblings OFF fences and goals! Many times we see children climbing on fences at schools or our turf fields, and all too often we see players climbing on the goals. Sometimes these fences are quite high. It damages the fence, and it is a safety hazard for the child who is climbing… and goals KILL. Please keep your children OFF fences and goals at the fields.
- Food. If you bring food to the field for snack for your players or yourself, please remember it’s YOUR responsibility to clean up. Also, if your team is having a post-game snack, remember to move away from the field so that you don’t impede the next team coming to play. Show respect for our fields and our other teams.
- “24 Hour Rule”. After a game it’s a good idea to follow the “24 Hour Rule”, that is, don’t talk about the game for 24 hours after the game. They will not be receptive to coaching or instructions on what they could do better immediately after a game. Give it time, then talk about it.
- ABOVE ALL… HAVE FUN!!! It’s fun, friendly competition. It’s nice to win, but what we focus on at BRYC is:
- Effort on the field
- Growth as a player and a team
We hope you are enjoying the season so far.. be safe and have FUN!
The BRYC Executive Committee